Mumbai : The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has launched the second phase of its national campaign to boycott the Chinese goods in the country on Wednesday.
The campaign titled ‘Indian goods—our pride’ aims to achieve the reduction in the imports of China-made goods by Rs 1 lakh crore by December 2021. Last year, the anti-China campaign by the CAIT caused a business loss of Rs 70,000 crore to the Chinese manufacturers and exporters.
CAIT’s campaign is a move towards the call ‘Vocal for Local’ given by Prime Minister Narendra and the Aatmanirbhar Bharat mission. In the first phase, CAIT focused on the items such as groceries, FMCG products, consumer durables, crockery, gift items, toys, footwear, beauty and cosmetics, furnishing fabric, etc. imported from China.
BC Bharatia, national secretary of CAIT said, “In 2001, the Chinese imports in India was only $2 billion, which has now increased to $70 billion. This means that the Chinese imports increased to a staggering 3,500% in the last two decades”
Praveen Khandelwal, secretary-general of CAIT said, “About 40,000 trade bodies and eight crore traders associated with CAIT will participate in the campaign. A massive public awareness campaign will be launched among the traders and consumers to boycott Chinese goods in India”